The much anticipate report by former Public Protector Advocate Thuli Madonsela on allegations of station capture has been released. The Report looks at how state owned enterprises were used by the Guptas for their benefit.
Chronicles on how Eskom CEO Brian Molefe lived in Saxonwold the home of Guptas, How the Guptas offered Jonas R600 million and how Des van Rooyen was made Finance Minister- even if it was just for a weekend
The Summary report
Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas and the Gutas
- Guptas invited Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas Mr Ajay Gupta and informed him they were going to make him Minister of Finance. Mr Jonas says the said they made a lot of money from the State and they wanted to increase the amount from R6 billion to R8 billion and that a bulk of their funds were held in Dubai.
- In inter with the Public Protect Mr Jonas alleges that Ajay Gupta further indicated that National Treasury were a stumbling block to the family’s business ambitions. As part of the offer to become a Finance Minister, Mr Jonas would be expected to remove the current Director General of National Treasury and other key members of Executive Management
- Ajay Gupta apparently mentioned that his family has made Duduzani Zuma a Billionnaire and that he has a house in Dubai
- Ajay Gupta also reportedly offered Jonas R600 million to be deposited in an account of his choice and asked if he had a bag which he could use to receive and carry R600,000 in cash immediately, which he declined
- Minister Nene was removed after Mr Jonas advised him that he was going to be removed.
Former Finance Minister Nhlanhla Nene, Des van Rooyen and the Guptas
- Gupta family was aware or may have been aware that Minister Nene was removed 6 weeks after Deputy Minister Jonas advised him that he had been allegedly offered a job by the Gupta family in exchange for extending favours to their family business.
- Minister Van Rooyen who replaced Minister Nene can be placed at the Saxonwold area on atleast seven occasions including on the day before he was announced as Minister. This looks anomalous given that at the time he was a Member of Parliament based in Cape Town.
- How Minister Des van Rooyen met with the Guptas on the eve of his appointment as finance minister
Eskom CEO Brian Molefe and the Guptas
- In an interview with the Public Protect Eskom CEO Brian Molefe confirmed that he was friends with Atul Gupta.
- According to phone records obtained by the PP, between the period 2 August 2015 and 22 March 2016 Mr Molefe has called Mr Ajay Gupta a total of 44 times and Mr Ajay Gupta has called Mr Molefe a total of 14 times
- For the period 5 August 2015 to 17 November 2015, Mr Molefe can be placed in the Saxonwold area on 19 occasions.
Minerals resources and the Guptas
Minister Zwane allergedly forced Glencore Plc to sell its Optimum coal operation to a company controlled by the Gupta family, friends of President Jacob Zuma.
- Travel records obtained from Emirates Airlines confirm that Minister Zwane’s travel itinerary for a trip from Johannesburg to Dubai undertaken between 29 November 2015 to 7 December 2015.
- It is unclear as to why Minister Zwane did not board his flights from 2 December 2015 to 5 December 2015. It is further unclear as to why an additional flight was booked from Dubai to Johannesburg on 7 December 2015
- What is further peculiar to the PP is how Minister Zwane, managed to reach Dubai on 7 December 2015 as there are no flight details for him travelling from Zurich to Dubai.
- The PP received information from an independent source that Minister Zwane did in fact meet with Glencore CEO Mr Ivan Glasenberg in Switzerland at the Dolder Hotel around 30 November 2015 to 5 December 2015.
Recommendations of PP report
- President Zuma is to appoint a Commission of Inquiry within 30 days headed. The Comission MUST be selected by Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng
- Treasury to provide adequate funding for the Commission
- Commission MUST complete its probe and present findings to President Zuma within 6 months
- The President is to ensure that the Executive Ethics Code is updated in line with the review of the Executive Members’ Ethics Act.
** Remember, In the Nkandla matter, Constitutional Court Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng said the Public Protector’s remedial actions are legally binding
Is there any thing new in the PP report
Many have said the 355 page report does NOT seem to have any groundbreaking information , it is only a compilation of what’s been stated in media reports.
In march of 2016, The Mail and guardian newspapers investigative unit AmaBhungane published the Gupta Web showing links between the Guptas, ministers, some top ANC officials and executives of State Owned Enterprises.
Click here to read or Download Full “State of Capture” report by former Public Protector Advocato Thuli Madonsela
Written and edited by Ntsoaki Shoeshoe Qhu and Adadume Magadlela